

VSA Council  
Sunday, September 13, 2015  
7:00pm – 9:20pm, College Center MPR

### **Attendance**

2016	Late
2019	Not present
Ferry	Not present
Raymond	Proxy
Town Students	Late

### **Consensus agenda**

\$2,250 to QCVC  
Fem Alliance (\$100/\$1100)  
Hip Hop 101 (\$0/\$2100)  
QCVC (\$500/\$700)

Finance: The numbers on the left are what was allocated, and what the orgs requested is on the right.

President: Does anyone object to the consensus agenda?

### **Forum with Transitions Co-Coordinators**

At-Large: So the program is now in its 6<sup>th</sup> year, created or imagined by now-alumni (then students) and faculty as a fuller prematriculation program. They presented the idea to CIE 6 years ago. In an effort to assist the program in starting, we took what the interns developed, a 6-week program, and created a 3-day pilot. That pilot went forward to a 4-day program to 5-day in those 4 years. All the students have to be low-income – what does low income mean? Certainly students who have very close to no parent contribution, keeping in mind criteria for financial aid under \$60,000. Some years we can go as low as \$40,000 in order to get to 140 invitees. We get a group of 40, to this past year where we got 56 students who took us up on the invitations. Now it's 6 days and there are co-coordinators. One of the programs-within-the-program is the program interns, and the experience they get assisting. They receive 2 days of training before the students come for the 6. One of the primary concerns is “miracle grow” for the necessary relationships at Vassar. Two to three professors teach a class just like they would teach normal classes. At the end of the class, students are assigned homework. Then they meet again for another class. We offered anthropology, sociology, and physics. We'll do some thinking about the classes we'll offer next year. There are social activities for students to get to know each other... we go through the culture sculpture activity first time together; it's all about opening up who they are, and it sets the tone for the rest of their experience... We go bowling, go to the mall, we have conversations about life here... We try to make sure

they're not duplicating the responsibility of student fellows. The interns spend a lot of time talking to students about their own experience, why Transitions is important to them, and their experiences and those of the majority of first generation/low-income students. Last year, Cappy said Transitions was no longer pilot program, but rather something that has been institutionalized. We receive funding for it each year. We want to think of Transitions as a matriculation to graduation program. We really try to be here for the students through their whole time here, but it depends on the students taking advantage of us. I have a sense of how they're doing and who they're connected with, and I think that's an important part. The Jack Kent Cooke Grant helps fund seniors to come back early and have conversations about theses and how they're preparing for graduate school. That went really well, and we got great feedback. We're still thinking through other projects, how to fund low-income and first generation students, particularly aiding students who can't find paid internships over summer. One student got a great opportunity out West, but was denied funding, so hopefully we can help with things like that.

At-Large: The only thing I'll add is that the whole Transitions cohort is made up of students. We try to extend the network; we try to engage more people who weren't able to come.

At-Large: We also have branches for everyone involved in Transitions. We have monthly brunches for Transitions students and send out a biweekly newsletter to all Transitions students highlighting accomplishments of other Transitions students.

2017: I know you mentioned it was meant to be 6 weeks, and I know funding is scarce, but are there any plans to expand?

At-Large: Up front, I don't know. My energy is going to helping students navigate their time while they're here. We'd have to think, because the students would have to be paid. Maybe a full week... I felt like that extra [sixth] day allowed for more breathing room. I would say that we're going to put energy into how to support sophomores, thinking about JYA, and seniors... we were able to bring back former Transitions students. Probably not, to be honest, but I would like to expand how much we can reach out on that path, matriculation to graduation.

Lathrop: One question I had is, since it's now institutionalized, are other staff going to be involved in the future. Additionally no one is dedicated [solely] to Transitions, and that makes me worried about turnover and how we can take care of the program and make sure it stays a program. Just wondering if you have any plans for a person with a more dedicated role.

At-Large: As far as being involved in the program, she has been really involved in training and programming. The Transitions summit had over 20 professors that became involved in the program that way. As far as having a full-time person for that position, that's definitely something we'd like to see happen.

At-Large: CIE met with Cappy and requested postbacs. I think, given some of the changes that happened with ALANA Center director position, it is certainly a labor of love for me to work with Transitions. There is something about an assistant dean or director of residential life in an administrative capacity, something about a senior officer person being like “I’m here, and I want to make sure your experience is a good one.” I feel pretty certain that we’ll get support from B as well. We’ll have to see what that looks like with postbacs, what support looks like for 1<sup>st</sup> year programs as a whole.

President: Have there been any trends you’ve noticed among Transitions students at their time at Vassar?

At-Large: I think, if I were to do a pre-arrival survey, a lot of them start off in a STEM field, which has to do with anxiety and pressure to make sure their education means a paying job. Those fields feel like, “Okay, I can get a job with that.” And that changes over time. I think there’s some of the realization that the kind of work they did in high school in any subject area in high school is different than the work here. We have that conversation a lot here. There is also a pipeline from Transitions to the rugby team... For a while it felt like the other place was the Barefoot Monkeys. I don’t know if it lasts more than the 1<sup>st</sup> or 2<sup>nd</sup> year. I have noticed students that connect really strongly in those 5 or 6 days, and it’s neat to see those friendships carry on. What I was hearing before Transitions was “We met my junior year.” It feels like people are finding those best friends sooner. It feels like most of them have at least 1 or 2 Transitions friends who have stuck with them.

At-Large: With there having been 2 graduated classes now, something that [...] offices are starting to do is, when studies are done on campus, being a member of the Transitions program is one of those fields you can check off. We finished our survey of 2014 alums and where they ended up, and for every person who responded, we have checked off whether or not they were Transitions, so that’s something you’ll be able to see down the line.

Cushing: You mentioned you invite 120 people, and less than 50% people come. How can we get everyone who is qualified to come? And after orientation, are the professors supportive of their needs? Transitions students have a very different experience in the classroom—any concerns raised by these students? And a third question: after orientation, how do you create awareness among rest of the Vassar student body about the Transitions program? Are there any specific ideas? Because the rest of the student body should know about the Transitions students’ experience.

At-Large: It’s a little like admissions... I don’t know what we’d do with 120 students; the budget just isn’t built for that... That’s the reason we invite that many, is to *get* 40 students. What can we do for all students with first generation and low-income backgrounds is good question. A lot of students would benefit from Transitions; I don’t know what more we could do... Do we continue inviting them to events we have throughout the year, to my office to talk to me about their experiences? Again, matriculation to graduation is important.

At-Large: As a former Transitions student, I think there are spaces on campus where the identity of Transitions students can be a form of capital; saying that you're a member of the Transitions program can bring up types of classism and racism that are still there. Something that the interns talked a lot about is that we work really hard to create a different space in the Transitions program where conversations about money and family life can happen, but once pre-orientation ends, there's culture shock they experience, which is why we try to separate interns from student fellows, because there are some people who feel more comfortable going to intern versus a student fellow. I can think of experiences in class where a professor says that we're all middle class so we all must understand this example. Many of the people who came to the summit were people who never attended the Transitions program. I think we're making progress, but we're not there yet.

Cushing: You should create a feedback system for Transitions students. If you have concerns, you can send this person an email... just having that institutionalized mechanism to address specific needs of the Transitions students.

At-Large: We don't send out an email, but we get emails from some students like "Hey, my financial aid is being weird," and we try and straighten it out with [financial aid]. There are ways the institution can be more mindful. One of the things that happens is room draw, and if you have debt to the institution, you can't participate. Who is most likely to have debt? How does that affect it? We will find a room for that student... With classes, it's different. When a student can't select their classes for preregistration, they have to go to the professor and beg to be a part of class along with the other students. Thinking about institutional practices for students who may be in debt, and I think that's where they may suffer most is in admin practices. We could use some review and think about how we can be better—not to say that students don't experience a variety of good interactions with their peers and professors.

At-Large: We also have developed a program where we have graduated seniors write letters to incoming freshmen to talk about their experiences. We get those from 40+ people who graduate, and we collect from interns. We pick out which ones we want to use, but then they have all those experiences about what kind of things to expect. That's another way we're working on that.

At-Large: We have a Transitions website we're currently upgrading that has everyone who's involved in Transitions listed and testimonials. Well be advertising upcoming events.

At-Large: Helping Transitions too are faculty, professors, et cetera from low-income, first generation backgrounds who can also share their experience.

President: What is your ideal future for the Transitions Program? Are there any ways the VSA can help support you and your students?

At-Large: Something about students understanding what they signed up for when they sign up... This is where I think a full-time person would be helpful... thinking about totality of the experience: you're not just signing up for orientation; you're signing up for brunches, workshops, a guaranteed paid internship junior year, you'll receive GRE, MCAT, and LSAT support your senior year. Those things were provided for you. It is not a gift; it's that you're going to be giving to the program. And they do; they come back and say welcome themselves. Transitions students throughout all 4 years find each other. I like to see that grow. A 4-year commitment from students, but that means you have to have a structure in place.

At-Large: That made me think of a couple years ago, the class gift was to open IDF to seniors. That was an opportunity just for that year... makes me think of things the VSA could do, whether through senior class gift or other means... I would love to see someone create an opportunity for Transitions students, or students in general, to be able to access that kind of fund in a more direct way, because some elements of these applications put Transitions students at disadvantage. Finances are demanding, and not many Transitions students are going into it. Part of that is that donors say who gets what, but there's an opportunity to think more creatively about grants we have and things we can offer that would be beneficial to students with financial need rather than having them at disadvantage. We have a different project coming up this year... One complaint I had as a Transitions student was that we don't have a financial advisor or people. We're in the process of putting together bringing an off-campus financial advisor to talk about taxes, apartments... diving even further into programming for juniors and seniors this year. Something I would like to see more of is figuring out ways to quell or normalize anxiety cohorts carry with them throughout Transitions.

At-Large: Ideally, the cohort has been increasing, so hopefully that's continuing. We may need additional human resources because, for instance, during pre-orientation, I was not very present because I had to be in 2 places at once, which was taxing for my colleagues and house teams and Transitions. Also, a lot of other Ivy Leagues are doing similar programs, and there are conferences for first generation and low-income students, so more money to send students to conferences to meet other students who identify with them.

At-Large: We went to a conference last summer, and it was the first time I sat in a space with folks who were doing precollege work with first generation, low-income students, and it made me think about the evolution. I knew people I was with this summer, and having this relationship of precollege to college and post college program is exciting. It would be nice if this group and the energy around Transitions is around when we experience leadership change... I don't know how long Cappy will be here, and she's been a great advocate. I don't know what the VSA does now that influences that... I think need-blind really helped our campus. Transitions is a part of that. What happens when leadership changes? Will that commitment still be there from the institution? I know it's there for the Board of Trustees as well as president, but she's been really supportive.

At-Large: Something else the VSA could do is, [imfirst.org](http://imfirst.org) has a page that lists colleges and universities that are first generation and low-income friendly, and we're not on that. We're looking at how we can get on there.

At-Large: I'll conclude by saying something I hear from students all the time: first generation and low-income students often have a feeling of having to be thankful for being here. I don't know if there's an intentional way of combating that, but it's definitely a real problem. If we feel harmed by the institution, we feel like we can't be critical because we have to be thankful for it giving us money. I would love to see us break down that idea.

Davison: What can I do to make my house more welcoming to first generation and low-income students?

At-Large: A lot of where these tensions play out tend to be in residential spaces... roommates from different backgrounds... A lot of it is being intentional with conversations that that dynamic is there, that there are people who can afford to pay that, and people who can't... oftentimes little microaggressions just play out in houses... intentional discussions about supporting students when those issues come up is something you should be looking out for.

At-Large: Tell your residents to lock their doors.

At-Large: One of the things I posed to house advisors is take a look at parlor spaces and MPRs and, can they say welcome in a way they don't now. Capria's looking at the person who does humans of Vassar and seeing what those would look like in those spaces. What would it look like for artwork to decorate houses? House advisors should be asking what you would like to see here. Not everyone's having families come up, but they have a family in their house. We want to encourage for every study break have someone introduce themselves to people they don't know and talk about their identities. I don't think this is special to Transitions students though, on a small campus to feel lonely. Not take for granted small amount of time we have for people to feel connected.

At-Large: Another time study breaks are also school breaks. Sometimes people don't go home, and that tends to be a more difficult thing; students are here and those are hard times to engage with people around you, a lot of Vassar Transitions students stay here for the summer. Funding for the summer is very, very small; until last summer, students had to have their own car or rent a car or walk to get groceries. Programming that happens over summer comes from Res Life money, so that money goes to making sure they have fun and can eat. I would love to see VSA funds dedicated to supporting students who are here over the summer. The meal plans shuts off when finals end, and doesn't come back until orientation. That's 3 months they're fending for themselves.

At-Large: As a freshman who is still getting involved, is there any way we can be more welcoming?

At-Large: I don't know... interesting question. I don't know if it's specific to Transitions students as much as it is for all students... pick your head up, smile, say good morning, get to know names: nothing says "you're welcome here" as much as those little gestures. Raymond Avenue food-wise, there are options; be mindful if you get your group to go out that not your whole group can afford it. Tricky question. Money isn't talked about... if you have wealth you don't try to flaunt it, and you don't try to say you don't. I don't know how to make the campus environment so that we can talk about more easily. I had to introduce a group of Transitions students to another group of students, and I only used word "Transitions;" I never said "first generation/low-income," and my interns critiqued that. We want students to embrace that and recognize it as a part of their experience. Tricky question; let's just start by saying good morning, and make no assumptions about ability to afford something that is taken for granted.

Noyes: Something I would like to see is talking to early athletes and Transitions students, and telling us who is a part of it so we can talk to them. House team would like you to meet with us to have this conversation.

At-Large: We made our own decorations for Transitions students [...]

Noyes: We just want to know who is here when we get in for training.

Joss: Ultimately your work is so formative, but it's still giving us that miracle grow to exist and navigate through the environment it's in. We're still working around the idea of what a Vassar student is... How can we work in conjunction with it and also push back... We have preparation to say "This is how it's going to be," but the incoming students don't have that. Additional focus on class identification discussion... for every freshman to situate themselves on the class spectrum and see how that affects them.

At-Large: I've been thinking about how to approach that during the program. It's weird because of the balance between prepping students for their experience, but also not imposing other people's experiences on them...

### **VCLU Appeal to Suspend Bylaws**

At-Large: We're here because, 1 week ago, we got an email about that our org was suspended and the budget frozen. We heard rumors, but we didn't know it was real until the email. It caught us off guard. We talked to the former president, who never heard about it. No one notified us until this point. We're here to propose suspending the bylaw that we have a week to appeal because we didn't get notified until many weeks later. We would like the opportunity to appeal before the judicial board.

At-Large: The former leadership isn't here. They went to a meeting with the VSA, the concerns of the event were laid out, following which the VCLU was promised immediate follow-up. There was no follow-up recorded (or none that anyone has record of). We're hoping to file an appeal to give the club due process. We want to open the process to see that the spirit of the law is still in place.

Cushing: Does the VSA have any record of the decision after motion was passed in May?

President: No.

At-Large: What exactly does the appeals process usually entail?

President: It goes to the judicial board... I don't know what they do. They call in the VCLU and the defendant.

At-Large: If they don't have any extra information, what can they do?

At-Large: We think they will rule for us. We just wish for due process.

At-Large: We personally feel the sanctions against club are too harsh for the infraction, especially because for a club which has been around for this long.

At-Large: We hope to get back some of our programing; we're just looking for a fair trial.

Operations: They hope to suspend bylaws so they can have an appeals process with the judicial board.

Town Students: Do we fund them during the process of appeals?

President: They have 3 days to respond to the appeals.

At-Large: We won't be programming or requesting funds for the next 3 days.

2017: We discussed this at the final meeting of the previous year.

President: There are minutes of this, but there aren't records of communication.

At-Large: They weren't communicated to us.

At-Large: Put away any beliefs regarding "was this justified or not." It comes down to that we don't have any evidence that we let them know about sanctions... they should have right to go to the judicial board and say this is a problem and we'd like to appeal.

[?] I do think it's important for the VSA to help VCLU, and having that conversation with the current exec board would be beneficial to them.

Town Students: Are there any other groups this would affect if we pass it?

President: This is specifically to suspend the bylaw for the VCLU, not in generally.



2016	Abstain
2017	Yes
2018	Yes
2019	Not present
Cushing	Yes
Davison	Yes
Ferry	Not present
Jewett	Yes
Joss	Abstain
Lathrop	Abstain
Main	Yes
Noyes	No
Raymond	Yes
Strong	No
Socos	No
TAs	Yes
THs	No
Town Students	Abstain
Finance	Yes
Academics	No
Activities	Yes
Student Life	Not present
Operations	Abstain

President: We do not have a 2/3 majority, so the motion fails.

### **Activities**

Activities: Next week we will be doing pre-orgs. We got 16 pre-org apps. We invite everyone on council to the next activities meeting. Other thing, someone from the Wounded Warrior Project messaged me about an event on September 27, and they need Vassar students to volunteer. If there's any interest in that, I can send email to the class presidents or house presidents so they can send an email to their constituents. I think they're working events.

Lathrop: Is this a club?

Activities: No, someone from the fire department.

Lathrop: I feel like we can just include in the weekly email.

President: We can post it on the Facebook page.

Strong: When is the activities meeting again?

Activities: I'll send out a Whenisgood.

## **Finance**

President: Any questions for finance?

Finance: We had our first treasurer training session last Tuesday. Applications for Finance Committee will be going out tonight. We spoke to [...], and account funds are available. At least 3 new funds were created: traditions, VICE comedy, and VICE [...] accounts were created last year during budgeting and are actually things. Nina is the new co-chair. I don't have control over who gets Pcards. From my end, every org should have a Pcard.

Lathrop: Did people from Finance Committee last year apply?

Finance: Yes.

2018: Joss applied for a card and we got it in a couple days.

Finance: That's what the person communicated to me, but that's all I can say. Every org that needs money... should come to office hours and use a Pcard. Don't use out of pocket money.

Cushing: Any way we can speed up the process?

Finance: We can't speak to accounting about that... there aren't enough people working there. It's happening as fast as possible.

Joss: Are applications for at-large Finance Committee members coming out soon?

Finance: Yes, that's what's coming out tight. We're looking for roughly 20 people to join. That number isn't set in stone.

At-Large: What's the status of the finance dashboard?

Finance: We have webmaster; the former webmaster agreed to train them, so hopefully it will be updated soon.

Main: Is there any master list of budget numbers for each org. Yes there is? Okay is it on the dashboard?

Finance: No.

## **President**

President: Serenading is next Sunday, food will be served at 6:45, and the VSA meets at 7:00 which doesn't make sense to me. I'm moving to suspend the bylaw that requires us to meet at 7:00 and change it to 7:30.

Town Students: I would like to eat diner.

Strong: Exercise is important.

2016	Yes
2017	Yes
2018	Yes
2019	Not present
Cushing	Yes
Davison	Yes
Ferry	Not present
Jewett	Yes
Joss	Yes
Lathrop	Yes
Main	Yes
Noyes	Not present
Raymond	Yes
Strong	Yes
South Commons	Yes
Terrace Apartments	Yes
Town Houses	Yes
Town Students	Yes
Finance	Yes
Academics	Yes
Activities	Yes
Student Life	Not present
Operations	Yes

President: Okay, that passed: we're meeting at 7:30 next Sunday. As I mentioned in email today, council agendas can't come until Fridays, so I move to suspend that bylaw and make it so that until October break, agendas will come out on Fridays.

2016	Yes
2017	Yes
2018	Yes
2019	Not here
Cushing	Yes
Davison	Yes
Ferry	Not here
Jewett	Yes
Joss	Yes
Lathrop	Yes

Main	Yes
Noyes	Yes
Raymond	Yes
Strong	No
South Commons	Yes
Terrace Apartments	Yes
Town Houses	Yes
Town Students	Yes
Finance	Yes
Academics	Yes
Activities	Yes
Student Life	No
Operations	Yes

President: First things first... I was recently cc'ed on an email chain about noise happening off campus, about drunk freshmen off campus looking for parties. I recommend mentioning it to your students. If you're emailing anyone about VSA stuff, use your VSA email. Reminder for house president to pass on to junior reps that they have to be on one committee; committee times are in the all-campus email. The campus life resource group is looking for a student to join the Student Life Committee and will be looking for someone to go for them, but anyone can join. Let us know if you want to help plan all-college day. Orgs will be able to have events advertised on the VSA Facebook. If you know any orgs that want things advertised that will be a thing that is possible. Go to your committee meetings... they should not be as small as they have been. Campus dining is going through restructuring... a new meal plan, a new provider next year... there will be open forums next Fridays for students to go and ask questions. We'll be sending that out in the all-campus email. Antony contacted me to remind me that I'm trying to make Metro North tickets free or subsidized, so if you would like to sign on to that project, let me know. I'll send you an email. We also need help with food truck Friday... we're having a struggle. Any questions for me?

Operations: We have worked out a VSA restructuring group public meeting in the faculty commons every Saturday from 12 to 2. These will be well advertised, there will be food, tell people to drop by.

### **Constituent Concerns**

Strong: Marist has program for discounted tickets.

Noyes: I'd like to express the sentiment in my house that freshmen don't want to go to serenading and don't see point in it for them. They don't understand what the point is, and they don't want to take the time away from their families. I'm going to have a conversation with my house team about what we want to do, and we're wondering if it's possible and respectful to not do it.

Joss: I'm in the process of going to all fellow groups and presenting "what do you know about serenading, what do you think about it? If it's up to you, would you participate?" I would not pass down a dictate about whether or not we go, because fundamentally this is their experience, but if it does turn out that they reach a consensus that they don't want to go, *I* still have to go... isn't it more important to do what my house wants?

2018: We talked about this a lot. I am angry at the administrators that they pressured us to have it on parents weekend. That takes away from their time to spend with their family.

2017: Parents may show up for the traditions, which may add to the embarrassment. It changes the dynamics... Make sure every student knows they don't have to go to serenading.

Cushing: Echoing concerns again, my house team was not excited about this because of the timing on parents weekend... it's unfair. I wish we could meet again and have a conversation, if all house teams are not excited, then what is our role in that situation? Are we supposed to be excited about this event for the freshmen, even if *we* aren't?

Joss: I don't know what the solution is, but not every single freshman in my house is going to say "I don't want to do this because it's hazing." How about instead of parading through the house, we have all the people just meet in one place?

Noyes: Maybe in general my objection isn't logistical, but philosophical; I don't want to participate as a person.

Cushing: New topic, living conditions in residential houses. We had bees in two bathrooms, cockroaches, wasps, a lot of pests... we called CRC and there was no exterminator, and they had to buy anti-pest stuff out of their own pockets. The college needs to provide safe living spaces for us. Hopefully next week we can pass a proposal and forward it to Cappy.

2017: We only have 1 exterminator and he's all over the place. But he's also not here half the time.

2018: Our house advisor mentioned to us the idea of new picnic tables—why are we spending money on new stuff rather than fixing our dorms? I asked where the money was coming from, and she said "don't worry about it..." Issues of where they're spending their money... students shouldn't be suffering while other dorms get new tables.

President: Residential life doesn't pay to renovate dorms. I've heard that the mice are coming because they've been displaced from the new science building.

2016: It cost 21 million dollars to renovate Davi...

At-Large: It's not legal to have any building that is not accessible for people who are not fully able. A week ago I found a roach in my room in Lathrop. It's really starting to affect all dorms. Something has to be done.

TAs: We moved into the TAs this year. Each TA had 4-5 people living in it, and 1-2 cars. This year, we went to register cars, and found we could only register 1. I the emailed person and asked why, and she said there was nothing she could do... she didn't give us notice. The TA house fellow has not responded to emails. I feel like I have no power... I don't know what I should or could do. Can I do anything? People are asking me what's up as if I should have power, and I don't.

President: Go up the line more. If you can't get an answer, let us know and the VSA can help.

2018: Student fellows have been asking if there are fellowee funds... do we submit, etc. People told us we'd get 7\$7 per fellowee, but no one really knows about it... we got \$200 for a stipend, but isn't that our money? Is it a reimbursement? Reslife had no idea what I was talking about.

President: I think it's a reimbursement.

2017: It is a reimbursement. Once you have paperwork, you need to fill out your name, box number, and what you spent the money on.... I think you have to drop it you're your house advisor's box. Maybe talk to someone about it?

President: Talk to Luis first.

2017: And the money isn't per semester. It can be spent on birthdays or buying pizza for everyone.

Cushing: It does exist, and Christina would be the one to contact.

President: But if there's a policy change, Luis would know.

Joss: I'd like to ask about the fact that house presidents don't get compensated for our time...

President: That is not a new discussion. It is a conversation that will potentially go somewhere this year. Are you in student life?

2017: Student fellows need to get paid for their jobs. We do so much taxing work and we only get \$200.

President: That is part of Reslife.

Cushing: Going off of that part of the conversation is who will be paying us... I don't know, at least give us a stipend... it's more time intensive than an on-campus job... a stipend or something would be a starting point.

President: I've been a proponent of house presidents getting the same stipend student fellows get.

Main: I have a lot of freshmen asking me about campus safety... this is a student life issue, but I don't know how we make people more safe... walking to THs, even, you can't walk alone.

President: We have 2 security concerns, so I will invite [...] to a meeting.

2017: On the shuttle issue... there is nothing else for freshmen to do on campus. It's ridiculous, and I don't know if we can make it a responsibility to find other options...

President: Question for finance—I know last year we gave money to campus life for events on weekends...

2018: Is the shuttle offered on Fridays?

President: The regular Poughkeepsie one is.

At-Large: Do you think freshmen would go?

2017: There's shame about going to events on the weekend on-campus that are not the THs. There were 4 movies screened on campus that were attended by 20-30 people... it's decent, but percentage-wise, hardly anyone is doing anything other than going out and partying. I suggested going off-campus because of that.

Cushing: On the opposite end, we just talked about Transitions students, and how they can't afford it regularly. I'm also in support of having an on-campus movie night... having a simple avenue so people don't have to be in their rooms, but they don't have to spend money.

President: VICE in general is supposed to be providing entertainment... concerns have come up in past about VICE's programming... we should delve into what they're doing.

Cushing: Can we recommend they do certain things?

Finance: Not only is VICE supposed to be doing that, but we opened \$20,000 to collaborate in doing events; they should be doing stuff that reaches everyone. Reach out to them, that's what they're here for; it's not for them to use, it's for school programming.

Cushing: I feel awkward approaching them because of their leadership... I don't think we can expect students to say "hey show this film" and know they might disregard it.

Finance: They have a larger [...]. They are an org; they are powered by students... if you do feel like they aren't supporting you, at the end of the day you are paying them, and

you need to talk to them about that. They said they are open to talking to the VSA and to each other about programing.

President: I think it would be useful to have VICE here.

2018: There's 8 people, and those 8 people have certain tastes, so you just see their tastes over and over... as for people having shame for not doing something alcohol related on weekends, I've never experienced that, but I think it's sad because I think there are a lot of things on weekends when alcohol isn't involved, but I think the aftermath is alcohol. Maybe make them later, like midnight movies... They also wouldn't conflict with other events that way.

2017: It's clear there are lots of events; the problem isn't there isn't enough programming, it's just like what are you doing for the rest of your night...

At-Large: As a freshman who doesn't drink, it can be difficult late at night to find things to do that aren't drinking socially. It's difficult to get by without participating. We need more programming later at night.

Strong: I think the shuttle idea on Friday nights is good idea.

At-Large: Staff, also people who live there... establish that [the freshmen] are disturbing their lives by being loud at 2 am.

2017: There is a \$2 movie theatre near the mall, which is a much more affordable option.

At-Large: Going back to the VCLU discussion... for people who said abstain or no... not one person raised their hand to say why they opposed it, they received no notification about that they were suspended, and lost ability to appeal. We've set ourselves up for a lawsuit. We've lost high ground.

2016: I abstained because I made a lot of the decisions last year.

At-Large: The reason it failed was because of administrative thing... not 2/3 of voters but 2/3 of the entire body... we should have a discussion about the ways voting works... that would be better than this.

Cushing: We can discuss that in ops this week.

President: Exec is meeting with Cappy and Roelke this week for the first time.

Main: How do people like this space?

At-Large: I do like the Kenyon space better, but the lack of space for at at-large members is a problem.



Operations: No one seems to know who New England belongs to, but we've been trying to reserve a room. We've reserved Kenyon for 3 weeks, so we can go back there.

Lathrop: I prefer Kenyon.

2018: We've been having trouble getting people to come to meetings... Kenyon is so far away for people, and Main is more central... it's something really small, and maybe it doesn't matter, but maybe we could get more students to come if it were here.