

VSA Council

Sunday, November 11, 2015

7:00pm – 9:00pm, New England 106

Minutes by Steven Park

Attendance

2016	Yes
2017	Yes
2018	Yes
2019	Yes
Cushing	Yes
Davison	Proxy
Ferry	Yes
Jewett	Yes
Joss	Yes
Lathrop	Yes
Main	Yes
Noyes	Yes
Raymond	Proxy
Strong	Yes
South Commons	Yes
Terrace Apartments	Proxy
Town Houses	Yes
Town Students	Yes
Finance	Yes
Academics	Yes
Activities	Yes
Student Life	Yes

Operations	Yes
President	Yes

Consensus Agenda

- a. Social Consciousness to Feminist Alliance (\$150/\$150)
- b. Discretionary to Quiz Bowl (\$820/\$820)
- c. Capital to NSO (\$927.68/\$927.68)
- d. Capital to Barefoot Monkeys (\$205/\$244.07)
- e. Discretionary to Night Owls (\$2000/\$4000)
- f. Speakers to CHOICE (\$0/\$1200)
- g. Speakers to ViCE Comedy (Tabled/\$10000-\$15000)
- h. Conference to Debate Club (\$600/\$1615)
- i. Speakers to The Listening Center (\$2250/2500)
- j. Capital to FWA (\$181.15 + shipping/\$181.15)
- k. Pianists Pre-Org to Level 2
- l. Vassar Sori Pre-Org to Level 2
- m. Certification of Questbridge
- n. Mock Trial Level Up
- o. New Pre-Org: Chinese Students' Association
- p. Minutes from 10/25/15

South Commons: Just to confirm, the number is \$17768, not the \$20768 for Vice Comedy?

Finance: Yes.

Activities: Most of this is pretty explanatory. The Chinese Students' Association made an appeal, but we rejected them. Their argument was that the experience of Chinese students is different from Asian students in general.

Forum with ViCE

ViCE Rep: I think ViCE's goal this year is to work to make sure everyone knows that ViCE is accessible to everyone. We're trying to emphasize that we're doing three concerts this year. Also, there will be consistent concerts on Wednesdays and Thursdays. We also have a new subcommittee called Comedy and they're working really hard to bring big events this year.

President: Questions?

Cushing: So a lot of what I heard from a lot of people was that ViCE adheres to very specific tastes and isn't diverse enough. I don't see how the massive budget that you have match the music taste of campus.

ViCE Rep: We collaborate with other student organizations and try to do things more expansively. That's how we try to diversify the music. That's also why we're doing three concerts this year, but again, the large problem is that the decision is ultimately made by the committee.

2017: Are the regular concerts on every Thursday and Wednesday well attended?

ViCE Rep: It's usually Thursday that's well attended. Wednesday, sometimes. I think the ViCE Jazz and the Thursday Shows are well attended.

2017: Budget wise, do these concerts leave a significant impact on the overall budget?

ViCE Rep: ViCE does a good job on finding local artists, so we don't have to spend too much.

Operations: So to help push the conversation, the Restructuring group reached out to talk about ViCE's role in programming. Part of that conversation is that we're concerned that the tastes represented in ViCE isn't represented on the entire campus, so we're trying to open communications between ViCE and the campus or maybe change avenues. What can we do to bring ViCE to campus or campus to ViCE?

Finance: A question about the turnover, how are the different ViCE heads chosen and what training do they get?

ViCE Rep: There's never been a formal training process. The assistant director didn't lay out a lot, but there will be training next year as well as a tool kit so it can be more clear.

But usually, it's open application usually through Facebook or email, and we accept all applications. We have an interview process, which is conducted by all the execs who are here next year, and then we have a conversation and nominate whom the next exec should be.

Finance: I would like to meet with you later about specific VSA finance interactions.

ViCE Rep: Okay.

Town Students: Has ViCE ever considered sending out mass emails for meetings that tell what happened during those meetings?

ViCE: I know Teddy is working on a weekly email, but it's been hard getting a consistent email list. Yeah, I have a meeting with exec tonight, so I can talk to them.

South Commons: Two quick questions. Does ViCE have a protocol for handling the things that are planned and allocated and things where students come to you for partnership? So planned and unplanned. The second question has to do with where do you see ViCE integrating with us?

ViCE Rep: The music committee fund is split amongst the concerts, so funds this year are split for the three concerts. As far as how the budget is planned out for particular events, so far it's jazz and...Special Events is about the only person with flexible budgets. There's no official process, but we plan on how the different funds go towards things, but we can look into make a process.

South Commons: Do you have a constitution?

ViCE Rep: I think it's up to each director because it's a collaborative process. Like I said before, we're trying to create more of a tool kit. And then the second question about working with the VSA, I guess we do this type of meeting every month.

At-Large: It's great that it's an open space, but a lot of people have this perception that ViCE is mainly a group of people who have their own views on music. Why don't we do surveys to find out what the campus wants? I suggest we look at how other schools do it.

ViCE Rep: The only hesitations we have towards surveys is that we don't want to mislead the campus. There was a time the campus thought someone famous was coming when

they weren't. And yeah, I think it's a good idea to look at other colleges, but we know that each college does things differently.

Ferry: Another question along that line: do you have a system for outreach for students to ask what they want instead of it just being ViCE?

ViCE Rep: I know that AJ, our publicity director, is working on a forum space for us to use. We did ViCE rebranding and different work on that regard. We wanted it to be like Yik Yak but specific to programming.

Cushing: A lot of the concerns is that it's mostly the same type of artist. I'm feeling that diversity is not reached. The other thing is that ViCE puts up a lot of alcohol related events. What has ViCE done to provide non-alcoholic related avenues? Third thing is that the self-nominating exec system is just having the same people in place year after year. If you tell House Team what you were up to, we can tell our constituents.

ViCE Rep: It isn't self-appointing because we open the application to the entire campus. But we can definitely work with that, especially with that email system. As with the non-alcohol programming, we don't provide alcohol at any of our events. Are you asking about events that have to do with the time of that event or...?

Cushing: Like the Haunted House where it's expected that you don't drink.

ViCE Rep: We have comedy sketches, films, and other things that are like that. Oh, this coming Saturday, ViCE is having a meeting about safer spaces. After the SAVP training, we plan on having a follow-up discussion.

President: Those who aren't going to the Seven Sisters conference, you all should go to that.

Lathrop: I feel like we've only been hearing one side. I think ViCE has been doing a killer job. I know Lathrop house loves what ViCE provides. I feel like some of us are just looking for a problem. I don't think ViCE is broken and doesn't need fixing, but there are things to work on like transparency and campus. Maybe you can have a representative on the Activities committee? One thing the VSA should be moving towards is an Activities calendar. Instead of just email, there should be a calendar. I think that'd be really handy.

I think that's one good step forward. Along the same vein of surveys, I think forums are a good idea. Something in the spring, just see what the pulse of the school is. I don't think we have to make appointed questions like "Do you want to see Kesha on campus?" but just "What genre do you want to see?" Also, I want to sort of lecture the dangers of democratizing entertainment. The people at ViCE are those who are the most passionate about music. Last year's Slow Magic was sick. I definitely think maintaining the personality of ViCE should not be jeopardized. I don't think the VSA should interfere with that.

ViCE Rep: I like the idea of putting a survey in the spring. I like it; it'll get people excited and talking over the summer. I also appreciate all the good sentiments, but ViCE has a lot to work on.

Joss: I think there's a difference between fully democratizing what ViCE does and what kind of channels we get. You already said there's no specific process of allocating those funds.

ViCE Rep: There are avenues for people who want to collaborate and do music events. If there is an organization who wants to bring a musician, I mean, the Caribbean students club is planning something, but they're in a bind because of financing.

Main: Thank you for coming. I just want to bring up about the backbone that ViCE seems to be lacking. There needs to be some sort of goal-oriented constitution that you can tell people that come after you what you did without it being lost.

ViCE Rep: A lot of the mistakes were communicative, and I agree we need a backbone and Teddy and I are working on the document. We're constructing it.

Town Houses: I want to second Main House. I think ViCE has been a very chill space. And if you don't know what happened before, it's very hard. I also know that people who make suggestions to ViCE make suggestions about the budget. Sure, ViCE has a big budget but musicians are expensive. Most of the people who complain about ViCE never been to a vice meeting and the meetings are open.

ViCE Rep: In reference to music thing, think about the artist you want and go down two levels and that's our budget.

Finance: Can you talk a little about collaborations between various vice organizations and how that happened in years previously?

ViCE Rep: Collaborations are going well, because it's music. There a lot of back and forth on what music to have. Our meetings run from an hour to an hour and a half, and that's when a lot of collaborations happen. I think last year, Comedy and Film collaborated to bring someone.

2017: Two things. First, you guys do have open application, but I think people are discouraged to apply because they're scared of the risk of failing. If there is a system that can help the applicants and let them know that there will be people to help them out. Second, it'd be nice if we can try to get the concerts free.

ViCE Rep: I know it's been a tradition to charge the fall concert, but I'll bring it up to the execs tonight. I think it'd be interesting, but the only thing that will end up covering is the extra sound system. Pricing for tickets allows us to do a better quality for that. We can reorganize our budget a bit. I do know that for concerts we collaborated in the past, there's a lot of budget switching around.

2018: One quick thing I was going to suggest is appointing a communications director, maybe an additional person to handle that, because it seems like you're adding a lot things to your agenda. So, that stuff isn't pushed to the spring.

ViCE Rep: The assistant director never had a formal "This is what the assistant director does," so I guess we'll go for that.

South Commons: Just something to clarify: what advice would you share about collaborating in regards to discretionary money?

ViCE Rep: If you want to collaborate, you can come to the meeting and the committee will talk about if they want to support or collaborate with that event. They can come to our exec meetings and talk to everyone. We don't want to be a bank. We want collaborations, but we don't want people to come and say "we need \$10,000 dollars." I know there sometimes need to be quick and drastic collaborations but...

South Commons: Do you have a set fund to be used for collaborating?

ViCE Rep: Yes, there is money set aside for that. We don't have all our funds planned, but we still have a plan.

South Commons: Yeah, and I understand the bank thing. We want more planning to come with collaboration offers. So when should organizations come to you?

ViCE Rep: Maybe at the point where you're brainstorming an idea. It depends. If it's a concert, the collaboration process could be on what the concert would entail and specific stuff. But if you come expecting just to give you money, we might not give it. I know Special Events is the quirky part of ViCE that does the weird things.

President: I was going to say what you said about collaborations is very much a part of organization culture, like organizations just come and ask for money. We can talk about that in the leadership conference and make collaborations more of a conversation.

2018: Would you mind giving us the time and locations of the meetings?

ViCE Rep: Let's see. You can always schedule an appointment at Sunday at 8pm. Music is at Tuesday at 8pm. No- ViCE is on Tuesday 9pm. Special Events is on Wednesdays at 8pm with Publicity. Film is Thursday at 3pm. And that's all I remember. I'll email you guys.

Reports

a. Activities

Activities: So Gabbi and I talked about closet space, but Annabelle didn't show up, so we scheduled another meeting. On Friday, Ramy and I organized a meeting about the Spring Leadership conference. It'll probably talk about Bystander Intervention. We're also discussing whether pre-orgs should do that as well. Maybe also have the vice presidents have those trainings as well. Part of vice president trainings would involve how to write contacts, book outdoor spaces, collaborate on events, and host programming. If you have any other suggestions, please tell me. Last update, we met with the Drug and Alcohol Education Committee and they said that this year's freshmen class has fewer EMS cases than usual. Res life and the Health Education director talked about creating a space where students who are

recovering from drug and alcohol can live together, but we nixed that because we thought it was too stigmatizing.

Jewett: Jewett House has been working with Raymond on creating programs that serve as alternatives to alcohol-related events.

At-Large: Firstly, I'm glad to hear that, because I can't drink for health reasons and it's limiting. We have to do something about the number of EMS calls. I'm glad we're focusing less on discipline and more on helping people, but we need to get those call numbers down.

2018: So you know the number of EMS calls last night?

BOEA Chair: Eighteen.

2018: In regards to your question, we're trying to be more transparent on what freshmen might think students are doing, so they don't feel obligated to drink, and that it's not 80 percent of students drink.

Ferry: I'm confused. Why did you think it was stigmatizing to have people who are recovering to live together?

Activities: I think it was that because it wasn't a choice. Administration would just put them into that housing. Would people be interested in that?

Ferry: I think there's huge interest in that. I know there are people who would want to be in a safe space like that.

Activities: If that housing was made, incoming freshmen would be given that option, but I don't know how current students can opt into that.

BOEA Chair: I don't see the downside to what you said about bystander training.

President: Don't worry, it's definitely happening.

Main: On non-alcohol programs, most only run early in the evenings, so pushing those events later in the night would be beneficial. Just a stupid question, what was the closet space for?

Activities: Four organizations were requesting closet space and we don't have any more, so were trying to condense closet space.

THs: Talking about EMS, I know there has been a lot of calls to ems, but I think it is better that people call EMS than not call EMS. In regards to sober housing, I think we have a solution because a lot of people would want that. Instead of forcing them, we could just ask "Would you like sober housing?" It'll be just like the wellness halls option. And it doesn't have to be one house; there can be several houses.

Jewett: Going off drunk people, I just think every single time a big event happens, there's always dorm damage and people who are not responsible for that have to pay for it, and it's become routine. I think we need to do something about that.

At-Large: I personally think telling the administration that you want sober housing would only make them put you on a list and wait for you to mess up.

2017: This isn't about alcohol, but everyone has a budget. If there's a way to limit the number of preorgs we have, it would be great since we can't have budgeting go only for food.

Finance: That's a conversation we always have. It's no secret what your budgeting is going towards. Maybe we can have a large conversation about spending money on experiences instead of food. But they say "Oh we can't attract people without feeding them." Then maybe we should reevaluate whether your organization should even exist.

Operations: That's also what we've been talking about in Restructuring, so please come to those.

South Commons: We're about to enter the nitty gritty about Restructuring, and we would like more people to show up. But to echo about budgeting, we have to think about rules in giving funds. It's the same as closet space. Not all organizations get them. Also about alcohol, we've done so many things preventing these type of things, like ban all kegs, but they don't really work. We can talk about policies, but it's not a good idea to demand a solution immediately. Let's keep it framed on long-term.

At-Large: But I feel like there are ways to limit the alcohol consumption. We can have more non-alcohol programming. The thing that affected our hall the best is that our student fellow insisted that we drink responsibly. I think things like that would decrease EMS calls.

South Commons: I understand. But I'm not saying there's nothing we can do. There's a lot of things that must happen and it's complicated.

b. Finance

Finance: We are talking about ways that we can discuss speaker allocations and how we do research for those. A lot of questions about that. Starting this week, we will have a second meeting Finance committee in the week. This is a separate Finance committee where we will be talking about allocations and the past history of what we do and how to improve it. The time will be coming out soon. New P-cards will be coming out by JP Morgan. Sometimes, if the new P-card comes, the old cards may deactivate. Treasure training is tomorrow at Rocky 300 at 6pm. I sent an email about that. That's particularly for new organizations or if you want a refresher. We are in the middle of finding a new time for Finance committee to meet. The new time is Wednesday from 3:30pm to 5pm. That's the only time people can meet. We'll be finding a new, new time for that.

2019 We're sending out applications to all the freshmen who wants to join the Finance committee.

Finance: Thank you, Miranda. If anyone want the emails to send them to the Houses, we can do that. We need to build up the Finance committee. Fund levels: Council Discretionary is at 23%, Collaboration is at 33%, Conference is at 9%, Speakers is at 23%, and Community is at 36%.

Joss: So you mentioned the whole P-card thing. So many people depend on making big purchases, so this puts us in more than a tight spot. I think it's classist to assume that we could make those purchases ourselves.

Finance: Yeah, I know it was a huge hassle to have the P-cards be deactivated over Halloweekend and have to pay with your own money.

Operations: I would say that you can come to Discretionary. I also believe that you shouldn't spend more than \$200 out of your own pockets, so come to me.

Lathrop: Which organizations were defunded for missing the Bystander Intervention meeting?

President: I'm meeting with someone about that soon.

Cushing: So...the Social Consciousness fund.

Finance: Yeah, that info will be sent out soon. I think we only had two fund applications come for that.

Cushing: Just a suggestion, I would have liked to apply for the Social Consciousness fund for the Refugee event.

Finance: Yeah, we do review all the applications. Organizations and individuals can both apply.

South Commons: One idea maybe for fund levels is to divide the funds and see and compare how much each exec uses.

Finance: We already have that. I only report on special purpose funds.

Ferry: For discretionary funds, that should be in training. It'd be good to know. Also for Joss, for the Social Consciousness fund, I believe it should be open to the entire student body instead on only through organizations.

Finance: We need to talk about access to the applications. We're working with the applications with the webmaster, because the website only has organizations access it.

President: Quick question about P-card, should we go to you for that or someone else to use the P-card?

Finance: You can come to me.

2018: Also, those individuals can ask their class president, too.

South Commons: To echo on Rebecca's thought, organizations should communicate that any organization can apply for the Special Purpose fund.

c. All Other Exec

President: I am working with Kelly Grab to figure out the next steps for organizations who did not attend the Bystander Intervention training. Laura, the Town Houses Rep, is helping me plan Food Truck Friday to occur next semester after Spring Break. Also, the VSA council has been invited to join the Smoke-

free/Tobacco Free Implementation Task Force for a meeting this Friday at 1pm in the Old Observatory 211.

Operations: Restructuring has been going well. We're talking about representation. We're thinking of making two separate legislative councils. Look out for a couple of surveys. The Tasty Tuesday survey is coming soon. Also, by the way, we're getting a second vending machine. The first has medicine and all that, but the second one will have food.

Student Life: Student Life Committee drafted a final version of the transportation letter. Shout-out to all those who helped.

Academics: We discussed logistics of Code: Debugging the Gender Gap. We also discussed the logistics of the Peer Advising dinner. I'll send emails. Also, we had a rousing discussion about grades and how students conceptualize them. And then, the library committee is meeting this week.

Cushing: Shout-out to Ruby for the first vending machine.

South Commons: Just to jump off about the vending machine, it's great that we don't have to pay for them. In terms of healthy options, email me or Ruby. Nothing is over two dollars. If you want something and it's not here, let us know so we can talk to Michelle and triple J.

Finance: In case anyone is wondering, the vending machines next to the Help desk have pretty cheap medicine.

At-Large: I was just curious, the vending machine will have what we want in them? How will that work?

Operations: Yeah, I mentioned that. There will be surveys.

2017: Are there task forces for this right now?

President: Yes, they have been working on this for like three years.

2017: Do you know anything about the Res Life task force? Any info about them?

South Commons: I recommend you talk to Camilla Pfeiffer. Things have been a little busy. Camilla would have the latest info.

Finance: For the task force, email me if you want more info.

Constituent Concerns

Joss: So it's been brought to me that there have been several incidents of misgendering and the use of slurs by professors. Do we want to discuss the possibility of gender training for them?

Student Life: For context, we talked about this in the CIE meeting. Faculty training is in formulation, but it is happening.

Academics: An ongoing project of mine has been pronoun use. I haven't gotten to it yet but I will during spring semester.

2019: So the freshmen class council had its first meeting and one of our constituent concerns was security. Jewett had a lot to say because, well, there's like five people from Jewett in the group. They're saying that bikes are being stolen and people having been going to our houses, and stuff.

South Commons: We have the security committee and the Student Life committee, so it'd be great if your committee members came to those.

2019: I bring it mostly because a lot of what they were saying were reiterations about what we talked last time about security, like about the cameras.

Jewett: Is there a list of times and locations for each subcommittee?

President: No, unfortunately. If you have any questions, you should ask Ruby.

Town Houses: Shifting gears, I was asked to alert you guys to not feed the animals. Someone was attacked by a raccoon recently. So please (laugh). I was also asked if, like, the House presidents can make it clear so that our lawns are not trashed. Walking around, it's like wow. And it goes with the animals. And someone stole the speed bumps! And the same person found both of them in the woods. Arlene has been alerted and she had to go get them (more laughter).

Letter Concerning Off-Campus Transport for Health Concerns

Student Life: So, we redrafted the letter and send it to Operations and they edited it, and this is what we came out with. Basically, it says that we think it's important that the school provides transportation to and from hospitals and other places like that. I can answer any questions you have.

South Commons: There are some changes. I want to explain some of the changes I made. I added Bob Walton because I felt like he should be in the loop. When the letter reaches the administration, I wanted it so that they see we planned everything. So, I added examples about Williams and about other colleges and how they do it.

Ferry: One concern I had is that we stressed financial accessibility and I only see one sentence. Where did you discuss that?

South Commons: I think it'd be much stronger to explain that other schools do this. I just felt some parts were a little repetitious.

Ferry: You also took out a lot of mental health issues about scheduling appointments and...

South Commons: Oh, that's already in there.

At-Large: The only concern for me is that the letter mentions going above and beyond, and I fear the administration might see this as something frivolous.

Motion to Change that Sentence in the Letter:

General Consensus Vote: No one objected. Motion passed.

Student Life: So what's the next phase?

Operations: If we like it, we endorse it and send it.

Ferry: One more thing. Here it says, "While we are aware, and applaud, that the college provides funding for high-need students that require off-campus transit, we believe the high cost of round-trip taxi services is a burden to all students as well." Can we change "all" to "many"?

South Commons: We can change it to "can be a burden to many other students."

Student Life: I feel like that language would limit the number of people that sentence is trying to reach.

2018: Can we say "burden to most students"?

Town Houses: I think the taxi services are referring to everyone, because the taxi service is ridiculous, as well as the wait times.

President: I will make the motion to endorse the letter as is. If down-voted, it goes back to Operations.

Motion to Endorse the Letter As Is

Operations: Does anyone want to speak for this motion?

Student Life: I think this letter conveys what Student Life committee wants to convey.

Op: Anyone against?

Ferry: I think more emphasis should be placed on how financial issues are a big part of this.

Vote :

2016

Yes

2017	Yes
2018	Yes
2019	Yes
Cushing	Yes
Davison	Yes
Ferry	No
Jewett	Yes
Joss	Yes
Lathrop	Yes
Main	Yes
Noyes	Yes
Raymond	Yes
Strong	Yes
South Commons	Yes
Terrace Apartments	Yes
Town Houses	Yes
Town Students	Yes
Finance	Yes
Academics	Yes
Activities	Yes
Student Life	Yes
Operations	Yes
President	Can't Vote

President: 22 in favor, it passes.

Open Discussion

Cushing: 69 Nights is happening this Saturday! Also, we're having a stoplight party. Green means you can approach me and red light is don't approach me. Please spread it.

Main: Awesome job to all the Houses and Traditions committee. Everyone was amazing.

South Commons: One quick thing. If you have strong feeling about what ViCE said about banks, come to the finance meetings.

President: I know last week, we were a little cryptic about the BDS thing. I just want to say that the execs are trying to be as transparent as possible. Everyone should be doing their best to read up on it and talk to people. If you have any questions, please talk to me.

Operations: I will add that it's not coming to a vote any time soon.

At-Large: Speaking of BDS stuff, we're having a meeting at 7pm. If you want context come to this meeting.

Ferry: I have a question. Why did the execs last week say the discussion had to happen soon?

President: Yeah, no. The talk is happening in March.

Student Life: I want to apologize for being so cryptic. I want to be as transparent as possible on this too.

Joss Do we know when we're leaving for the Seven Sisters conference?

President: I'll send an email.

2019: One quick thing, the freshmen are having their first event. It'll be a bonfire.

Town Houses: If the talk will be I March, I want everyone to keep it in mind that that'll be when Israel Apartheid Week happens. So, it's important that people know that.

Meeting adjourned at 9:02pm.